RE: mysqlc (was RE: php-mysql-cygwin how to)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Bill McCormick wrote:

> Elfyn,
>
> I compiled the 4.0.13 and I don't seem to have a mysqlc executable. What I
> don't understand is why the mysqlc client that comes with the mysql win32
> (which uses the cygwin dll) doesn't run in a cygwin bash shell.

In the Win32 dist there are two clients, mysql.exe (the native Win32 client) and
mysqlc.exe (the Cygwin client). mysqlc.exe was just an "extra".

> Even if it
> did, it still doesn't get us to the point where we can use Perl and PHP
> under Cygwin, right?

Of course. Once you have the client lib you can then install and use DBD::mysql
and php_mysql.

> Also, why bother getting a server to run under Cygwin? It runs under Windows
> just fine. Getting it to run under Cygwin under Windows seems like a lot of
> busy work to little end. The only important thing is that the client works
> so we can use the Perl DBI, PHP and other various client interfaces. Or am I
> missing something?

It's the same argument for Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl etc, etc. I suppose it's not
really needed, but some people might like to "play". :-)

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB
http://www.emcb.co.uk