Re: cygwin-1.5.0-1: Problem stat-ing big file

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:26:34PM +0200, Markus Sch?nhaber wrote:

While trying if the new support for files larger than 2GB works, I created a file with a size of 4.53 GB (4,869,120,000 Bytes) using a simple write in python. No problems here. But when stat-ing the file with python's os.stat or by calling stat from C as done in the little program below, the size of the file gets reported as 574,152,704 Bytes.

The changes to 64 bit file access are not propagated automatically to
existing applications.  E.g. the current `ls' from the fileutils
package is compiled with the old (small) stat structure which only
has 32 bit off_t for the file size.  If you want to actually use the
new struct stat and off_t with 64 bit, you have to recompile the
application.

Sorry, but there's no way around that.

Thanks for the quick reply, Corinna.
I was playing around a bit with the new cygwin as this occurred to me and I just reported it. Could have come to the conclusion that it has to be this way by myself.

In fact this is not bothering me much, since I - at the moment - have no need for being able to create and handle files that large. But it's good to know what had to be done if I had the need.

Regards
  mks