Cygwin apps talking to Windows browsers?

I use emacs under Cygwin (with Cygwin/XFree86 and/or Exceed) and would
like to switch to using mh-e in this environment.

One thing that I would like to do is to be able to click on a URL and
have my Windows browser (in this case Opera) be told to open the page.
Is there an app to allow this?

How about an app that would allow this from emacs running on another
host via X?

If there is no APP for this, is there an API for it?

Thanks.

Jeff