Re: Backing up cygwin

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:57:46PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >>
> >>Um, it's the mount table.  Use mount -m to backup your mounts.  That is
> >>why it was designed.
> >
> >Sorry, but not quite.  There are some settings there besides mounts,
> >notably "heap_chunk_in_mb" and "Program Options".  Until there's a
> >command-line tool to access those (well, regtool, of course, but that's
> >more of a hack), backing up the registry is the only choice.
>
> I'm not sure why regtool would be considered a hack in this context but
> I would submit that anyone who is initially perplexed by the fact that
> cygwin uses the registry is undoubtedly not using heap_chunk_in_mb or
> "Program Options".

You're right, regtool is no more of a hack than backing up raw registry
(less, in fact, since it could be used in scripts).  I also agree that
most people only use mounts, and those that use some other settings should
know what they're doing.  However, people do forget at times, and it's
good to have a list of stuff that needs to be backed up in the archives.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu