Re: Permission problems with recent Cygwin

(Sorry this took so long; it's taken me days to find the hours required
to investigate.)

I've got some more info, below, and have also read through all the
permissions threads on the cygwin mailing list I could find, and to read
about half the ntsec threads over the last year or so.  I don't think it
explains the problem we're having.

(BTW: one thing that struck me was that the change that turned on ntsec
by default seems to have caused a reasonable number of problems.  And
although I'm also subscribed to the cygwin-announce list, if there was
an announcement about it, it didn't stick in my memory.  But that may
just be my faulty memory, sorry.)

What is especially confusing I think is that you can't trust the mode
output from ls.  Permissions reported via ls may bear little or no
resemblance to the user's actual permissions.  I was going to qualify
this with `when ntsec is defined in CYGWIN', but it seems to be
independent of that.  (See "Odd thing #2.)  <shrug>  Anyway ...

Odd thing #1
------------

I compared two systems running Cygwin 1.3.22: a fresh install, vs my old
system (updated via setup.exe).

The odd thing is that in both cases, ntsec is *not* on by default.
It *is* on if I slogin to a machine.  (Using password authentication.)

Perhaps ssh modifies CYGWIN before logging in?

FYI, I've set things up here to define a site-wide setting for CYGWIN by
modifying it in "cisra.sh".  (This is instead of expecting over a
hundred users to manually set CYGWIN in their control panel.)

    #
    # The env. variable CYGWIN may contain a list of space-separated keywords.
    # Correct handling of binary and text files requires the nobinmode keyword.
    # In case there is a pre-existing setting (e.g. via ssh), add it to the end.
    #
    export CYGWIN
    case "$CYGWIN " in
        *binmode *)
            ;;
        *)
            CYGWIN="$CYGWIN nobinmode"
            ;;
    esac

*and* by having the sample .profile created for all users include this
at the end:

    #
    # If CYGWIN is defined, then its setting has no effect except on subsequent
    # shells.  So the last thing we do is exec a shell.  This is needed to get
    # correct handling of binary and text files via CYGWIN=nobinmode
    # The STARTX is to guard against execing in startx.bat, if people want to
    # use the --login argument.
    #
    if [ -x "$SHELL" -a "$CYGWIN" != "" -a -z "$STARTX" -a -z "$DISPLAY" ]
    then
        exec $SHELL
    fi

Anyway, logging in directly winds up with ntsec *not* set; specifically,
CYGWIN is set to nobinmode.  An slogin results in this bizarre setting:

: /home/luke ; echo $CYGWIN
"binmode ntsec tty"

which I can't explain.  Note the extra double-quotes there, too.

Odd thing #2
------------

The fresh machine belongs to user Joal, who has admin rights on his
machine.  (Here, each machine is set up so the user has admin rights on
their own machine.)

This is what Joal gets by running getfacl on /etc/profile on his machine:

joalt:/etc /etc
$ getfacl /etc/profile
# file: /etc/profile
# owner: desmolej
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x

And after changing mode to 700:

joalt:/etc /etc
$ chmod 700 /etc/profile

joalt:/etc /etc
$ getfacl /etc/profile
# file: /etc/profile
# owner: desmolej
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::---
mask:rwx
other:---

Compare that to the very different result I get if I run getfacl on
/etc/profile on my machine:

# file: /etc/profile
# owner: robs
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
user:Administrators:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

For Joal, on his machine, his groups are:
joalt:/home/joalt ~
$ id
uid=14765(joalt) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=10513(Domain Users)

For me, on my machine and on Joal's:
: /home/luke ; id
uid=11021(luke) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=12919(adaytum),10513(Domain Users
),13876(MS_VisualC6),13761(ZoneAlarm)

Looking at the security properties via Explorer, it lists

Administrators (DOYLE\Administrators)
Domain Users (CISRA\Domain Users)\
Everyone
Robert Smuhar (CISRA\robs)
SYSTEM

Administrators includes "robs" and "desmolej"; they and SYSTEM have
permissions: Full control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, and Write.

"robs" has every permission except Full Control.

Domain users and Everyone have only Special Permissions.

After doing a "chmod a+rx /etc/profile" an extra group got added
to the Security properties (?!) like so:

Users (Doyle\Users)

This group persisted even after doing a "chmod 700 /etc/profile"
And even then, this new group has interesting permissions:
Read & Execute, and Read.

This is all on my machine, where I can always read /etc/profile
even when it is this mode:

-rwx------+   1 robs     Domain U      640 Sep 17  2002 /etc/profile

On Joal's machine, where this mode prevents users from reading the
file (as if it were a real Unix system), the "Users (Doyle\Users)"
does not appear in the security properties view of the file in
Explorer.

Both are on XP machines, both on NTFS file systems, CYGWIN does not
include "ntsec" on either system (unless slogin used).  This is the only
difference that I've been able to find, apart from the way Cygwin
behaves with respect to the permissions.

Hope this info is of some use to someone.  Let me know if there are
other tests I could do that might throw some light on this.

Would Pierre's suggestion (below), to use the patched version of setup,
help with any of this?

Regards,

luke