Re: Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/ ?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:12:07PM -0400, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>From: "Carlo Florendo" <carlo@astra.ph>
>> From: "Jonathan Clark" <jclark@jitit.com>
>> Subject: RE: Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/ ?
>>
>> > Hello Max,
>> >
>> > This is a good point.  I have the source downloaded and in backups somewhere
>> > around here - so it can be located if needed.  While I'm in the process of
>> > putting together a new archive that contains more GPL disclaimers (and more
>> > utilities), I wish to be in compliance by offering a CDROM for those that
>> > desire it.
>> >
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
>>

>GPL
> 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
>under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
>Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
>b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three

This would require sending a written offer to every person who purchases
your software.  "Written" is not email.  It's an actual letter.

I'll say it again: We have consulted with experts.  The FSF FAQ entry is
really correct here.  If you are offering binaries on a web site, you
need to offer sources on the web site, too.

cgf