xinetd cannot find the SYSTEM account on 2000

After spending about four hours trying to get xinetd going (specifically
telnet), I've
run out of ideas. Currently I can run telnet flawlessly with inetd using a
domain account.
I'm not entirely sure what account inetd is using to run because I used the
--install-as-service
option which worked flawlessly. The passwd entry was created with mkpasswd
-d -u userid
and again - works flawlessly for inetd.

When I run xinetd as   /usr/sbin/xinetd -d, it tells me it cannot locate
the SYSTEM account.
It also complains that it cannot locate any LOCAL account that I specify.
However, it will
give me a login prompt if I specify the domain ID that I am currently
logged into the system with
- in the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet configuration file.
However it won't authenticate the very same ID when I attempt to connect to
the localhost
via telnet. Tells me the password is invalid. Kill xinetd, and start inetd
again, and telnet
again works flawlessly.

Anybody got a clue what I'm missing here?

Brian Kelly

"WellChoice, Inc." made the following
 annotations on 08/01/2003 08:12:43 AM
Attention!  This electronic message contains information that may be legally
confidential and/or privileged.  The information is intended solely for the
individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply
immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and
delete it. Release/Disclosure Statement