Re: cron and network drives

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

If so and it is also true that passwordless logins will not have access to mapped drives then we still have a mystery here as to why it works on one machine and not on the other.

"I don't pretend to understand how the SMB code in Windows works."

Just to add to the topic here, what I've found out is that while one cannot access mapped drives in such a scenerio one can access the same place using UNC names. IOW if the T drive maps to \\server\share and there exists foo.txt in there then cat t:/foo.txt fails while cat //server/share/foo.txt works! It's beyond me why Windows would think that one's a security problem while the other isn't (Then again consider Microsoft's record on security... I rest my case! :-) ).

Anyways this forced me into finding another solution to my delimna because hardcoding UNC names into my Perl code did not seem like a good solution since I would need to keep different Perl scripts at the different sites. Instead I cooked up a scheme that let the Perl code determine which site it was running on by the local machine's IP address and act accordingly. Since I removed all references to mapped drives this oughta work but I guess I'll have to wait and see.