Cygwin binary installation size (RE: Licensing for academic computer labs at a university)

> From: []On Behalf
> Of Elfyn McBratney

> Scott Copus <> wrote:

> > The FAQ mentions the full package itself is approximately 800MB--NOT
> > INCLUDING the source code.  If I were required to include the source
> > code (even if it's still tarred and g-zipped), then does anyone
> know how
> > much space would that require?
> Binary ~400MB, source ~500MB. Something like that anyway.

 I do run setup.exe and cycle "Default" to "All" in the package list. i.e.
all binary packages gets updated/reinstalled (that is Cygwin 1.3.22, no
exp/test packages).

 Checking "Windows Properties" on "<install dir>/Cygwin/" and subtracting
"/home" - the total ends up somewhere just below 1 GB with approx 60
thousand files in 2400 folders. (Just /home has changed substatially)

Counting FAT32 filsystem waste on that 8GB partition: approx 100MB more.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?16.37'N,