Re: Using ActivePerl 5.8 on a cygwin system

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Brian Dessent wrote:

> John Seeliger wrote:
> >
> > I have had cygwin installed on this PC for quite some time, but hadn't
> > updated it for a while.  I wanted to run yahoo2mbox.pl and found it wouldn't
> > work with the perl 5.6.1 I had installed, so I downloaded ActivePerl 5.8.?
> > and tried running the script from a Windows XP prompt, but it used the
> > cygwin perl.  So, I just copied the ActivePerl over the cygwin perl (yeah, I
> > know, not a good idea) and then it still wouldn't work because some of the
> > lib files used by it weren't there either.  I copied a few of those as well,
> > but still to no avail.
> >
> > Have I just hosed my cygwin?  Will downloading the updated perl help?  How
> > can I download just perl without going through the installer and selecting
> > "keep" on every single other item?
>
> I use perl 5.6.1 with Cygwin and the yahoo2mbox.pl script works just
> fine.  You need to have the proper modules installed from CPAN of
> course, but this is the case with any perl version on any operating
> system.  If you look at the top of the script you'll see:
>
> use Getopt::Long ();
> use HTML::Entities ();
> use HTML::HeadParser ();
> use HTML::TokeParser ();
> use HTTP::Request::Common qw(GET POST);
> use HTTP::Cookies ();
> use LWP::UserAgent ();
> use LWP::Simple ();
>
> So these modules must be present in your installation for this script to
> work.  If you don't know how to use CPAN you may want to read the
> documentation for it, see also <http://www.cpan.org>.  I think you can
> get everything you need by installing Bundle::LWP and HTML::Parser.
>
> Brian

John,

Beware that installing the LWP module will create three scripts in your
/usr/bin: HEAD, GET, and POST.  The first one (/usr/bin/HEAD) will make
the "head" command non-operational.  Renaming these scripts to HEAD.pl,
GET.pl, and POST.pl, respectively, fixes this problem without losing the
LWP module's command-line functionality.  The LWP maintainers are aware of
the problem and elected not to address it, IIRC.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu