Re: Setup.exe seems to hang

On  2 Sep, Robert Collins wrote:
>  > The problem he's having is that when getting to the stage of trying to
>  > change the installation type from "default" to "install", the machine
>  > just goes very busy and doesn't complete (e.g. it was left running
>  > overnight).
>
>  Try the snapshot:
>  http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/

Thanks, Robert - though we haven't tried that, since our idea for this
workaround worked:

> We're going to try installing the Default stuff, then run it again
> and see if we can choose to install everything after that.

After installing Default, and then re-running setup, it only took about
30 seconds to click over to the next state.

I'd still be interested to know what setup is doing at that point.  It
might give us a clue as to why setup's performance varies across such a
wide range.  (If Cygwin was already installed, could we strace
setup.exe?)

I've observed this behaviour in setup.exe literally for years, now.
I always assumed everyone knew about it.  (Dangerous assumption?)
I have a feeling it only happens on the first Cygwin install, which was
probably why I had the idea for the workaround we tried.

Has some change to setup in a recent snapshot targeted the problem?

Regards,

luke