Re: Upgrading Cygwin - postinstall difficulties?

At 11:37 AM 9/16/2003, Andrew DeFaria you wrote:
>Recently updating a Cygiwn 1.3.20 -> 1.5.3 I noticed something that concerns me. I think this problem is just a general problem and not sure what is "right" in this situation.
>
>The postinstall scripts for 1.5.3 rely on executing commands that might have dependencies on the cygwin1.dll that has not been installed yet! If you are installing and cygwin1.dll is loaded then setup will not be able to put the new cygwin1.dll in place. Instead it puts it as cygwin1.dll.new and arranges for it to be put into place next reboot. However this does not stop the postinstall scripts from running. When a postinstall script runs it may execute say grep, but the new grep makes calls to a new or renamed function expecting to find it in the new cygwin1.dll. This fails and a dialog box is put up.
>
>Now the situation is understandable. The question is: Did the postinstall script accomplish what it needed? After I reboot can I be assured that the "failed" postinstall script did enough of what it needed to do? Or should I re-execute (all) postinstall scripts?

At least for now, to be sure that things worked properly, you'd need to
rerun the postinstall scripts after the new DLL has been put in place.
Either that or exit all Cygwin processes (including services) and rerun
setup reinstalling all the packages you just installed.

You're correct that this is not an issue specific to the 1.5.x upgrade
process.

Holliston, MA 01746