Re: Upgrading Cygwin - postinstall difficulties?

At 12:40 PM 9/16/2003, Igor Pechtchanski you wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Larry Hall wrote:
>
>> At 11:37 AM 9/16/2003, Andrew DeFaria you wrote:

<snip>

>> >Now the situation is understandable. The question is: Did the
>> >postinstall script accomplish what it needed? After I reboot can I be
>> >assured that the "failed" postinstall script did enough of what it
>> >needed to do? Or should I re-execute (all) postinstall scripts?
>>
>> At least for now, to be sure that things worked properly, you'd need to
>> rerun the postinstall scripts after the new DLL has been put in place.
>> Either that or exit all Cygwin processes (including services) and rerun
>> setup reinstalling all the packages you just installed.
>>
>> You're correct that this is not an issue specific to the 1.5.x upgrade
>> process.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Hall
>
>Larry,
>
>I'd like to reiterate a warning that even a reinstall might not bring the
>system into a stable state if postinstall scripts were only partially
>executed.  I'm perfectly willing to give examples of situations where this
>will be true, but don't want to pollute the list unless there's general
>interest.
>
>Andrew's suggestion about delaying postinstall scripts until reboot sounds
>reasonable (or at least as reasonable as my suggestion of letting the user
>kill processes and retrying the replacement).  The current setup *is*
>broken in that regard.
>    Igor

I don't disagree with your statements Igor.  I actually sent my response
well before yours arrived in my mailbox.  I don't know why it took so long
for mine to filter through the list.  No matter.  Anyway, if I had seen your
response before I sent mine, I wouldn't have bothered, since yours is a more
complete reply.

Holliston, MA 01746