Re: Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Stipe Tolj wrote:

With the same non-success. I had cranked up the loglevel in the hopes that something about the failure would be written to the logs but nothing is. How can I debug/fix this? Does Apache for Cygwin do any authentication at all?

yes it does (or did ;) at least for a considerable time. I don't think this is a Cygwin or Apache for Cygwin specific problem. I suggest it's more to a mis-configuration.

I would tend to agree except this config worked with Apache for Windows.

Did you try to have standard Basic HTTP Auth on a "fresh" httpd.conf that comes from the distribution itself?

Good idea. Tried it. Didn't work:

$ net stop apache
The Cygwin Apache service is stopping........
The Cygwin Apache service was stopped successfully.

$ cd /etc/apache
$ mv httpd.conf
$ cp ../ httpd.conf
$ cp -rp ~/www/Internal/Release/addbug /var/www/htdocs
$ ll /var/www/htdocs/addbug
total 15
drwxr-xr-x+   2 adefaria Domain U        0 Sep 29 19:17 ./
drwx------+   4 adefaria Domain U        0 Sep 29 19:33 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      132 Sep 29 19:17 .htaccess
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U       48 Sep 18 16:06 addbug_users
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U        8 Sep 27 15:40 current_release
-rwxr-xr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     5293 Sep  9 17:05 index.cgi*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     5233 May 19 17:10*

I had to add ExecCGI and index.cgi to httpd.conf but that's all I changed. When I went to "addbug" again it let me in there without any authentication. Nothing to report in the log files.

Perhaps we should take this offline...
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?