Re: home directory not created in cygwin installation

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, John Morrison wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Ji-Wei Wu wrote:
> >
> > > I downloaded and installed the latest cygwin today on my computer.  I
> > > followed all defaults during installation (in c:\cygwin).  After that, I
> > > started a cygwin bash shell but found that it did not start in the
> > > /home/$USER directory ($USER means the user name I use to log onto my
> > > computer).  The actual directory is /sygdrive/c, which means the c: drive
> > > on my computer.  What went wrong in my installation and can anyone help me?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > At a guess, your HOME is set incorrectly in Windows.
>
> Igor, think there's anything /etc/profile could do about this?
>
> J.

John,

This is thin ice...  On one hand, we want to make things work pretty
seamlessly.  On the other, we don't want to limit the more advanced users
by not letting them change the home directory on the fly (anyone doing
that, anyway?).  One "solution" I can see is to ignore the $HOME setting
completely, and always go by /etc/passwd.  I think this was discussed
before, but can't recall the details.  One caveat I see is that this would
require an existing (and valid) /etc/passwd, whereas nowadays it's
optional (with "nontsec" or in Win9x).  I don't know if this will daunt
the advanced users, but it's probably something to discuss.  Opinions?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu