RE: Cygwin_setup.exe comments...

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> > From: Igor Pechtchanski
>
> > Linda,
> >
> > Have you tried a setup snapshot?  <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>.
> > More below.
>
>  Note that 2.415 - the latest snapshot -
> is the same you get by hitting "Install Now" at http://cygwin.com

Hmm, I didn't notice that.  I run mine from CVS anyway... ;-)

> > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Linda W. wrote:
> >
> > > Aome comments/suggestions/GRFE's (Grovelling Request for Enhancements :-)):
> > >
> > > 1)  Remember a user's previous choices.  (~/.cygwinsetuprc would be 1
> > >     possibility).
> >
> > Already there.
>
> Sorry; not entirely.
> The last "Create Start Menu"-thing doesn't remember its setting. (Unless it
> looks at the Start Menu contents?)

I thought it did...  At least, if I uncheck the "Create Desktop Icon" box,
it won't be checked next time I run setup...

> > > 1a) allow flags to disable some diaglogs:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > IMO, it's better the way it is now -- all the dialogs still there, but the
> > values are saved; you just click "Next".
>
>  Please, no, Igor. You're beeing shortsighted.
> Think about beeing able to *automate* things, or even present "end users"
> less off options to ponder on (i.e. an admin has set things up for a campus
> or some such).

No, I was simply responding to the suggestion in the context in which it
was being made.  The context was for manual installation through a GUI
(but minimizing the number of dialogs displayed).  This is completely
orthogonal to unattended setup mode (which is what you're referring to):
when you run setup in unattended (automated) mode, you don't care how many
dialogs it displays, as long as you're not required to sit there and click
the mouse.  What I said still stands (even for automated mode)...
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu