text/binary strangeness in cygwin1.dll

I think I've found a bug, possibly in the Cygwin 1.5.5-1 DLL. See if my
reasoning makes any sense. I use Joseph Allen's text editor, ver. 2.9.8
which has been stable and working very nicely under Cygwin (which
itself has been very stable under WinXP Pro SP1, build 2600). Originally
written for Unix only, "joe" has no code for recognizing DOS/Windows
line terminators, so it relies on the Cygwin mount table mechanism to
handle that.

I frequently call joe from an editor shell (which itself is called from
a DOS batch file), which passes the fully qualified DOS/Windows path
name of the file to be edited to joe. Under previous Cygwin versions,
the file would correctly open in text mode, But with the latest Cygwin,
the file opens in binary mode (presumably), so I see the ^M's at the end
of each line.

Now, here's the interesting part-- and the results are the same whether
this is done from bash or from the Windows command prompt (using
appropriate quote characters in both cases to avoid interpretations by
either shell)-- invoking joe with the POSIX formatted path name of the
file to be edited opens the file according to the mount table, but
invoking it with the DOS/Windows  or mixed ("c:/path/to/file.txt") format
opens the file in binary mode, no matter what directory it's in.

Jeff