Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:24:53PM +0100, Steve Fairbairn wrote:

>Again, probably going over old ground but I can't find anywhere that it has
>actually been stated for those that can't duplicate the problem, that
>
>	TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath d:/)/Cygwin-XFree86"
>
>hangs, but
>
>	cygpath d:/
>
>doesn't hang?
>
>As Brian has noted, Executing the binary with '< /dev/null' stops the
>hanging, but also executing it without capturing the output to a variable
>also stops the hanging.

I would guess that something like

foo=`bar`

is what is causing the problem because this uses a pipe for
communication.  In a shell that is run from setup.exe, it is possible
that stdin is not opened at all and stdout is the pipe in question.
Maybe this is somehow confusing the SHF* function.

So, the question is does something like this also hang?

#!/bin/bash
exec 0<&- 1>&-
cygpath -S | cat

when invoked from the command line?  Or possibly via "Run"?

cgf