Re: cygpath hangings: A fix - bash patch enclosed -- bash maintainer please note!

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 01:58:36AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:30:12PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I just managed to duplicate the problem on my system at work.
>>Stay tuned.
>I managed to duplicate it at home by booting into W2K, too.  That meant
>I didn't have to feel guilty about working on this at work.  :-)
>This should fix the problem.  Bash wasn't closing the read end of a pipe
>in some situations.  I'm not sure why that would cause some programs to
>hang but the following patch fixes the problem.  I think it provides
>more robust code than what was in bash previously, too.
>Ronald, if you agree with this patch, could you release a new version of
>bash, ASAP?  If you don't agree with the patch, then please let me
>(aka the cygwin list) know soon since I'm going to be submitting it
>upstream ASAP.

I've put a patched version of bash up at:

if anyone wants to try this.  It would be good to confirm or deny
that this fixes the problem for everyone.

Btw, maybe this has already been mentioned, but here is a simple
test script that demonstrates the problem when run from the console:

exec 0<&-
A=$(cygpath -A -P)
echo $A

Save it as "hang" and run it as "bash hang" and it should hang nicely
with an unpatched bash.