Re: Problem with a cygwin App - Broken on a pristine system until I install cygwin, cygwin1.dll doesn't seem to be enough

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:07:31AM +0100, Cliff Hones wrote:
>Benjamin Cutler wrote:
>>Hrm, next time I get a chance to sit down in the CS lab and hammer away
>>at it for a while (I currently only have a Linux box available to me
>>without making a trip across campus) I'll try strace.  As the previous
>>poster suggested, I had already tried cygcheck, and all it spat back at
>>me was SDL.dll, cygwin1.dll, and a bunch of standard Windows DLLs.
>>Perhaps there's a compiler switch that I missed?
>
>Have you considered the registry?  Installing Cygwin updates the
>registry - it's where the mount points are recorded.  If your app is
>using a POSIX-style path anywhere (eg /tmp/...) this would not be
>found, and if your app is dependent on the text/binary mount switches
>it would behave differently.
>
>A quick check would be to temporarily rename your Cygnus Solutions
>registry keys (in HKLM/Software and HKCU/Software), or else use mount
>to experiment.

PLEASE don't instruct people to play around with the registry.
We have a perfectly good tool for them to use -- mount.  It is designed
to manipulate cygwin's mount table.  The fact that it is in the registry
is incidental.  You can do everything you need with the mount command,
ignoring the registry completely.

cgf