Re: Multiple cygwins/ Distributing cygwin apps

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 06:29:17PM -0700, John Moore wrote:
>Cygwin is a great tool and it has this really neat installer so I can
>keep it up to date. But when a vendor ships a binary, that vendor must
>ship a binary Cygwin DLL, and there is no way it is going to match my
>latest version. This creates a problem.

- Please let us know the vendor who is releasing old versions of the
Cygwin DLL.  I want to make sure that it complies with the GPL.  If it
doesn't, our lawyers would like to talk to them.

- Newer versions of the cygwin DLL work with older applications.

- Newer versions of the cygwin DLL are better at finding other running
versions of the dll.

- Delete all but the newest version of the DLL and you are all set.

- If a vendor is releasing a product which doesn't work right because
there is a newer version of cygwin, complain to the vendor.  Their
installation is busted.
Please use the resources at rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to
and be permanently blocked from mailing lists at