This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: 1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP
- From: Geoffrey Ruscoe <gruscoe at ARCcorp dot com>
- To: "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:37:07 -0500
- Subject: Re: 1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Geoffrey Ruscoe [mailto:gruscoe@ARCcorp.com]
> Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 2:03 PM
> To: 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
> Subject: RE: 1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP
> I'm sorry I posted this problem a second time (under this new
> name) ... I thought my first attempt was too shotty and was
> probably misnamed. I was trying to continue the discussion
> that I had found that most closely matched (blah, blah).
I don't think I've been forgiven yet ;)
> So I thought about trying an older version of cygwin to see
> if that would cure what ails (should be ale's as in free beer
> in my case) me, but I couldn't find snap shots of an older
> release (maybe 1.3.22-1). Is there a way to get this or
> would this not be helpful.
I guess this is not a good idea
> Really, if anybody has any hints or things for me to try it
> would be very greatly appreciated. It seems so strange that
> I would be the only one having this problem even after the
> new version of bash.
Either this is a real stumper, or is so simple that ~anyone~ [read: I]
should have already figured it out, or ... What I would guess is that even
though I searched and searched, read the faq, read the user guide, and read
the posting guidelines I have offended all you hard working people -- and
thus haven't deserved response. I'm sure I deserve such retribution, I'm
just not sure why ;). To quote a famous bear: Oh bother.
Either way, keep up the good work, I have enjoyed using cygwin on many other
occasions (when I have been forced to use m$ winbloz).
> Thanks again,
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Geoffrey Ruscoe [mailto:gruscoe@ARCcorp.com]
> > Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:12 AM
> > To: 'email@example.com'
> > Subject: 1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP
> > I have seen a number of references to this problem, but none
> > of the fixes seems to work. I have used cygwin on many
> > systems and not had this problem.
> > Basically any form of command substitution hangs with 0% cpu
> > usage. Usually after a fresh reboot, the problem will not
> > occur for the first couple times I do it and then once the
> > first command substitution hangs, none of them work again
> > until a reboot.
> > Simple commands such as
> > Echo `echo hi`
> > Or
> > echo `date`
> > Or
> > The same using $(date), etc.
> > Have the same results as the post install scripts.
> > On this computer the setup has never completely worked always
> > stopping on the post install scripts.
> > I can see the sh.exe processes in the task manager and have
> > to kill them off. As I do this the progress meter of setup
> > will continue until I have killed all of the locked sh
> > processes and the setup finally finishes.
> > I have tried
> > * the recent version of bash that was offered here
> > * giving everyone full rights to cygwin and the entire c drive.
> > * setting USER and HOME
> > * making sure there are no spaces in either
> > * various settings for CYGWIN (thought I had it there after a
> > reboot). Now my CYGWIN is just: ntsec
> > here is my
> > bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> > CYGWIN_NT-5.1 Consultant01 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31
> > i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
> > And my cygcheck -svr is attached.
> > The hang script hangs with both versions of bash (although
> > not the first time or two after the fresh reboot).
> > I'm not sure what to try next. If anyone can point me to a
> > document that might help, or if you have any suggestions to
> > try or some more information I can provide, it would be
> > greatly appreciated. And I apologize for having to ask for
> > help on what I am sure is a EBCAC. I have never had this
> > problem before.
> > Also important to note: I think everything was working fine
> > until the XP downloaded and installed some update it
> > "needed." But it is too late to verify that. I have deleted
> > cygwin and reinstalled it several times (including removing
> > the regedit entries.
> > Thanks again for anybody's help,
> > Geoff
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html