Variables in Makefiles

Cygwin folks,

I'm having trouble getting makefiles to work in the cygwin environment.
They work perfectly fine in Linux.  I've checked the mailing list archives,
google, google groups, and the faq for help but haven't found the solution.
Any help would be appreciates.  Please CC me on responses as I'm not
subscribed.

Did I miss something obvious?

Thanks,
brian

===============

On Linux (YDL 2.3) I have an extensive non-recursive makefile structure.
make -v shows GNU Make version 3.79.1.  On Win 2000 I've installed cygwin
and the development tools.  make -v shows GNU Make 3.80.  When I try to run
make from the root directory (in both --unix and not) I get output like the
following repeated over and over:
  c:\***/asip/netdefinition/build/gmake/Rules.mk:79: no file name for
`-include'
I believe this is just a warning but I'm concerned it may cause a problem
later on.

Additionally and perhaps more importantly, make doesn't actually do
anything.  It seems to be producing .a files without compiling anything.  If
I try make with warn-undefined-variables I get many warnings undefined vars
and if I try to echo some vars used in my makefiles they all appear empty.

For instance, this makefile section:
  SRCS_$(d)	:= \
		../../source/product/Alarm_impl.cpp

  test:
	echo $(SRCS_$(d))

echoes nothing when run on Windows but echoes
../../source/product/Alarm_impl.cpp on Linux.