can't install or upgrade from local anymore (setup v. 2.416)

I have been using setup.exe for months (years?) to "download from internet" the files to a "local" network location and have always been able to then "install from local directory" to other workstations installing from local "root directory".
But recently it has stopped functioning. I can successfully download from the internet but when I later try to "install from local directory" the installer goes and checks the md5 sums fo the local archives but then at the end of that process the "next" button remains greyed out.

I have tried a few things, like deleting it all and starting from scratch. but to no avail the result was the same.
Any ideas? I am running version 2.416 fo setup.exe BUT I am not sure if I have ever run it successfully with version 2.416 or only with earlier ones. Is this a common problem and is there any solution to this?

Many thanks to any pointers.

Urs Rau