RE: Home key doesn't work with TERM=screen

> If I ssh to cygwin with TERM=screen, pressing Home in bash results in
> beep and a tilde printed. I've checked infocmp screen output, khome is
> set to \E[1~, as in linux and cygwin terminfo entries.

You can take control of your keyboard settings by
adding definitions to your ~/.inputrc:

   1. Press Ctrl-V, followed by the key whose
      behavior you want to define, for example,

        $ ^V [Home key]
        ^[[1~

      The '^[' corresponds to the escape key.

   2. Edit (or create) your ~/.inputrc.  Add the
      definition for the key that you want.

      "\e[1~": beginning-of-line

      An example '.inputrc' file can be found in
      /etc/skel/.inputrc.

This is described in the manual page and info
for 'readline':

    $ man readline

or

    $ info readline