Re: Hello and cygwin quesiton

Dear Igor,
I guest there were no improvements on the execute permission problem.

But I just realized that "vi" under cygwin is smart enough
not to give execute permissions to the files it writes
out.  It simply keep the original permissions.   Why can't gvim
do the same?

Best,
--Chee

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Chee,

Well, there are people on this list who are more versed in Windows
permissions issues than I, and hopefully they'll intervene and either
confirm or refute my answer.  If I had to guess, I'd say this has to do
with inheritable permissions -- if a directory has an execute permission
and the flag is set that makes all files and subdirectories inherit that
permission, all your files will be marked executable.  You can try to use
the Windows permissions dialog to uncheck the "allow objects to inherit
permissions" box, and this might solve the problem.  I'm not sure why you
didn't have this problem on Win2k (I do), but it could be because of some
unique permissions setup.

Hope this helps,
	Igor