Re: Third-party products that include Cygwin

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:26:34PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:
> > Well, no one knows everything. :-)
>
>  I've also noted: The more you learn, the more you know that you don't know.
> (Is that correct/good English? Feels bad to me in some way).

I think that's fine English, though I think the more popular way to say it is
"The more you learn, the less you know!" Your way actually might be more
technically correct.

> > > Might I ask where this functionality of setup is documented?
> > >Not /u/s/d/cygwin-doc-1.3/html/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html as it seems.
> > >
> > >And please:
> > > source is *not* documentation, independently of how readable it is.
> >
> > Sorry, no.  Not every piece of functionality is documented for Cygwin and
> > its setup program.  It has been discussed many times on the cygwin-apps
> > list.  Here's one message that lists out at least some command
> > line options:
> >
> > <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html>
> >
> > So the email archives is the only place I know of that has this
> > information at this point,
>
>  All right, that explains my ignorance. I read this list only, nothing else
> WRT cygwin (except docs).
>
> > unless someone wants to look at the source (which you stated you did not).
>
>  I have no problem reading source, but using it as *user* documentation
> is "a long shot" IMO.
>  I consider myself a very knowledgable computer user and programmer (under
> the right conditions), but a newbie user in the cygwin/POSIX world.
>
> > If you're interested,
> > I'm sure Rob, Max, and  others actively involved in the
> > development of setup would consider any patch you
> > might want to generate that moves this documentation into a more
> > obvious/official spot.
>
>  =-) well, I should have expected that...
> That's a long version of "PTC" ;-D

Actually, I'd originally asked on cygwin-apps@ so that I could get a man page
together, but I don't think cygwin.com/setup.exe supports what the latest CVS
HEAD developer cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ one does.  Those of you using
setup.exe in batch mode, are you using command-line options with stock
setup.exe, developer versions, or your own builds?

If it's the regular cygwin.com/setup.exe, I'll note it down now and get some
documentation in the next iteration of cygwin-doc.

In any case I can link to that message from the setup.exe homepage.