'Can't find X library'

Hey,
So when I run ./configure I get that it cannot find the X library.  I have
searched everywhere for an answer for this question and I actually found one.
It says to change the configure script to search not only for $i/libX11.a and
$i/libX11.so, but also for $i/libX11.dll.a.  Unfortunately, my configure script
tells me it does not find this, although if I type in the exact path that it is
looking in (well, one of them...the one it's in...:) ), it's right there.  Why
is it not finding it and why can't everyone else's solution work for me
too...:) I had sent out another question before on the ns mailing list about it
not passing a test (test-all-tagged-trace) for ns2, but I don't know if they
are related or not.
Thanks,
Janice