Re: zsh-4.1.1-2 still seems broken under cygwin-1.5.7-1 .

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 01:40:58PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 01:06 PM 2/12/2004, Peter A. Castro you wrote:
>>Still, I feel it's best for most regular users to wait for the official
>>release instead of possibly compromising their current environment.
>
>I guess I'd soften that statement by saying that one should always feel
>free to roll back to 1.5.5 from the current snapshot.  Testing is good
>but doing so doesn't mean you have to be stuck on some bleeding edge
>with no recourse.  There's nothing permanently destabilizing or
>compromising about running a snapshot if you keep around the version of
>cygwin1.dll that you were using before installing the snapshot.  That's
>pretty easy to do, even if your favorite cygwin1.dll version isn't
>still available via setup.exe (which 1.5.5 is).  So I don't view using
>snapshots as compromising an environment but rather insurance against a
>release that generates problems for everyone.  I think anyone who can
>run a snapshot, at least from time to time, should.  In this case, I
>certainly highly recommend that folks try the latest snapshot and
>report any problems they find that haven't already been reported.

Right.  We do not have a cadre of dedicated individuals who test cygwin.
Obviously we can't even rely on the package maintainers for this
function.  We do rely on random people here to assure us that what we
say is fixed is actually fixed.  That's one reason why the snapshots are
provided.

It isn't as if using the snapshot is going to cause anyone an inordinate
amount of pain.  It's easy enough to back out an offending DLL and
switch to a stable one.  It's not as if cygwin is going to reformat your
hard drive or something if you dare to try a snapshot.

And, you might even consider that since I'm giving you something for
free, you could provide a little bit of payback to me and the rest of
the community by doing some testing.  If I can't rely on that simple
courtesy, then I'm not sure why I or anyone should bother trying to fix
anything at all.

That said, however, neither Larry nor I are in the position to do your
thinking for you.  If you decide that dropping back to an old version
and rolling the dice that the next version will fix your problem is the
best thing for you, then no one can stop you; just like no one can stop
me from saying that I think that philosophy is short-sighted.

cgf