Re: limiting strace?

At 04:32 PM 2/16/2004, Thomas L Roche you wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Thomas L Roche wrote:
>>> Is there a way to limit the [strace] file size directly, or to
>>> script its rotation?
>
>Igor Pechtchanski 02/16/2004 03:56:10 PM:
>> You're on Cygwin, man!  Use the scripting tools! :-)
>
>The will is there! It's the howto I need :-(
>
>> Don't forget that strace by default sends the trace to stdout. You
>> can then pipe it to any program you wish (e.g., "tail -100", or
>
>That part I understand, and I know how to use those tools to *report
>from* strace.out ... but that's not what I'm trying to do. I don't
>want to say, "give me the last million lines from strace.out"--windows
>being what it is, if the file's big enough I may not get a chance to
>ask!
>
>I want instead to say something like, "don't let strace.out get bigger
>than a million lines," or 1GB, or something like that. How to do
>_that_, script wizards?

I don't think Igor was proposing anything too involved or complicated.
In your case, it sounds to me like you could just pipe the output of
strace into grep looking for a keyword or two specific to the error
message and the strace message that Chris embellished for you.  That
should add up to very few lines overall.  No?

Holliston, MA 01746