[Auto tool wrappers] The usage for "ifnames" ??

I read the book "GCC: The complete reference" by Arthur Griffith...
In this book it says no example about how to actually use the autoconf
package..

There is a line says about how to execute the command "ifnames" and the
functionality of it. I also read the manpage of ifnames
but still get confused.

When I input

$ ifnames *.c *.h

it comes

ifnames: invalid number of arguments
Try `ifnames --help' for more information.

And if I input

$ ifnames

becomes

ifnames: Couldn't find configure.ac nor configure.in file
run /usr/auto*/bin/ifnames directly

Can somebody give me an example about how to use it and what kind of
requisite is it for the usage?

Thanks

Alvyn