Re: zip with encryption

bbuchbinder wrote:
I was wondering if it might be possible to have zip 2.3 re-compiled
with encryption and re-released.  Chuck Wilson stated in
  http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00005.html
and
  http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-05/msg00018.html
that it can be done but that first Red Hat needs to inform the U.S.
government that binaries with encryption will be exported.  I know
that there are other ways to get encrypted zip files but it would
be convenient if the official Cygwin zip would be encryption-enabled.

Also, I'm not sure what the implications are for our mirroring hosts. Does the law require them to also notify the US govt, simply because they mirror what sourceware's server provides? Surely the kernel mirrors have dealt with this issue; perhaps only the "primary source" needs to make the notification.

I don't know. I'm not a lawyer so I don't even WANT to know. But it's Yet Another Thing RH's lawyers would have to look into, just for little old me to include encryption code in cygwin's port of the zip package.

Not likely to happen -- especially with Red Hat's current legal issues taking up all the lawyering time. SCO, XFree86 licensing GPL incompatibilities, etc etc etc

--
Chuck