'exim' setup question

A while ago I was using 'exim' quite successfully as an SMTP server under cygwin/XP. Then more and more email service providers started configuring their SMTP servers to not accept email sent from an ISP's dynamic IP list, as one step in defense against spam. At first I just set up exim's config file with a list of domains to route to my ISP's smarthost; but then that list of domains got longer and longer, and exim rapidly ceased to be practical -- and I never managed to get exim to first try direct sends, and then do smarthost sends, for all transmission, despite a large number of attempts using several different items in the exim manual. Anyone have a simple solution?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
http://joshuacorps.org