Re: XEmacs and hot laptops

borota@softhome.net wrote:
When I run cygwin XEmacs on my laptop after some time I have to close it as my laptop becomes very hot (and the fan goes non-stop and lot noisier than usual). So I work on porting some latex related stuff that works only on cygwin to native XEmacs. I wouldn't do that but I am afraid not to fry my laptop.
Does anybody have this problem too?

Well, first at all, this is somehow offtopic. Yes.

Well, I've similiar symptoms. I've noticed that cygwin uses more CPU resources than "native" programs. This is probably due the three-tier architechture used in cygwin environment.

Most of laptops I've seen have fixed speed fans, that are turned on when heat exceeds some predefined limit, and for some reasons on some laptops fan just runs "for sure" once a while.

Mine laptop is set as high as 70 celcius CPU temp, so well, it get's hot, specially from under (Yes, you can burn your balls if your not careful =)

Force lower clockspeed. Can be done on Intel speedstep, or AMD's equivalent thingy. Of course, things takes twice as longer, but hey, no more heat.

Laptops are designed to run on higher heats, so no concern of frying.

--

Jani Tiainen