Re: Man not finding pages

* Ross Boulet (2004-02-28 23:06 +0100)
> I solved my own problem with man not finding pages but in doing the research
> on it, I found something I thought might be worthy of mentioning.  From the
> message:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-04/msg00064.html
>
> I learned the a colon prefix to $MANPATH allows man to search its default
> paths in addition to what is specified in $MANPATH.  The
> /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh script handles this ok.  However, the
> /etc/profile.d/XFree86-man.sh does not handle it the same way.  I had an
> empty $MANPATH (since corrected by a new /etc/profile script).  The
> XFree86-man.sh ran first and found no $MANPATH and thus assigned
> "/usr/X11R6/man" (no colon prefix) to $MANPATH.  Then openssl.sh appended
> ":/usr/ssl/man".  The absence of a leading colon caused man to not find the
> basic pages so that basic stuff like 'man ls' produced 'No manual entry for
> ls'.
>
> I would suggest the XFree86-man.sh script be modified to add a colon prefix
> to $MANPATH to be consistent with the openssl.sh treatment of an empty
> $MANPATH.
>
> My apologies if this should have been posted to the cygwin-xfree ML, but I
> thought it appropriate here because it affects more than X.

You. Man. Are. Genius.

Recently I posted http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/44906 but
found no answer or solution. Suddenly completion started to work again
but on the next day not even calling a single man page was found by
man because of the wrong $MANPATH.

Now I corrected 'export MANPATH="${X11MANPATH}"' to 'export
MANPATH=":${X11MANPATH}"' in XFree86-man.sh and now everything is
okay.

Thanks, Thorsten