Re: multiple cron cause problem

*Please do NOT send private email*

* Michael Chen (2004-03-02 20:12 +0100)
> I read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron.README

I doubt that.

> and see that cron in cygwin is actually a windows 2000 service,
> surprising!

It is not by itself. You have to install it as described in the
readme.

> But does it mean I shoud see cron in the NT Task Manager once
> windows 2000 starts?

If you set the start type of the service to "automatically", yes.
Otherwise no.

> I checked carefully, and it is not there.

Either you didn't install it as a services or it isn't run
automatically: read /var/cron/log, the system and application entries
in the eventviewer.

> Without calling it from termail, cron won't do anything on my
> machine.

As you stated it DOESN'T DO ANYTHING EVEN WHEN CALLING IT FROM A
SHELL. What do yo type? - "net start cron"?

> I editted my crontab file /var/cron/tabs/Administrator to let it
> write date to a log file every minute and nothing happens!

I and others already told you that your command line is totally wrong.
You didn't even bother to test it in a shell. Do you expect cron to
compensate for your inability in testing?!

> By the way, cron man page says that it send output to user. But I
> didn't see 'mail' or 'sendmail' package in Cygwin. Why?

Because you didn't read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron.README. There it
says that "Mail is send using /usr/sbin/ssmtp instead of using
sendmail". It does it even if there is no ssmtp by redirecting output
and error messages to "~/dead.letter".

Thorsten