Re: problem linking SHM functions

I'm digging out of my list backlog, and I noticed you didn't get a reply.
So, this is just in case you haven't figured it out yet.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 Claude.Barrouil@onera.fr wrote:

> I have a program that uses shared memory functions shmget() and shmat() and
> that works fine under Linux.
>
> My problem is that I couldn't find how to link it with Cygwin, although I
> installed le last full package, cygwin1.dll is in the PATH, any other
> compilations and linkages works fine.
>
> All the info I could find is the thread starting at
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-08/msg01296.html, and the links to
> cygipc and cygserver. But this info does not address this (supposed to be
> trivial) linkage problem.
>
> Where is the relevant info ?

At the time you wrote this, your best option was cygipc.  You could have
read: /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygipc-*.README for details

Five days later, cygwin-1.5.6 was released with System V shm, sem, msg
handling in cygserver.  It then became the prefered option.  But,
cygserver and the documentation was accidentally left out of that release.

On the last day of January, cygwin-1.5.7 was released and included the
missing files.  See /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygserver.README for details.

Finally, on February 09, cygipc was updated to happily cooexist with the
cygserver implementation.

</end history lesson>

So, get Cygwin 1.5.7 or newer and read its docs listed above.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer