setup installation profiles [Was Re: invalid spawn id (4)]

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:10:00PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >Humor and indignation aside, it might be a useful feature to have
> >"installation profiles" for setup based on intended usage.  That way,
> >instead of having to wade through all the packages (on a too-small
> >screen, no less [an inside joke]), one could simply select "Cygwin for
> >telnet", or "Cygwin for shell scripting", or "Cygwin for cron" and the
> >right set of packages will automagically be selected.  Feel free to
> >implement the support for this in setup and submit a patch -- I'm sure
> >it will be thoughtfully considered.
>
> Actually, IMO, setup's UI needs a complete and total redesign.  It's
> obviously not very intuitive to use.  Something like the above would
> probably be useful but maybe we should just go with a more traditional
> installer look-and-feel.
>
> Anyone up for a 'setup2' project?
>
> cgf

AFAIK, there's already work in progress on separating setup's
functionality from the UI.  Once that's done, we could consider multiple
front-ends for setup, including a Linux-style TUI, or a skinned GUI.  My
suggestion above is orthogonal to this.

As for the traditional installer look-and-feel, if I understood you
correctly, it may not be appropriate for Cygwin, at least the component
selection interface.  I, personally, have some improvements that I'm
working on or planning to be working on that would bring the setup
procedure closer to that of the traditional installers.  I suppose by the
time we get to designing the look-and-feel, some examples and screenshots
would help determine exactly what people mean.  We're just about due for
another setup design discussion on cygwin-apps, anyway. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu