Re: weird compile command issues

From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
To: Andrew Sasak <sasakand2@hotmail.com>
CC: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: weird compile command issues
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:53:41 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Andrew Sasak wrote:

> I'm using a library I found on sourceforge called tclap. I installed the
> library correctly as far as I know. I have no problems compiling using the
> following command line: g++ -Wno-deprecated -o massflow.exe massflow.cpp
> cycle.cpp datapoint.cpp -L F:\cygwin\usr\local\lib -ltclap
>
> The following command line will compile in a Windows cmd.exe but not in the
> cygwin interface (or using Xemacs): g++ -mno-cygwin -Wno-deprecated -o
> massflow.exe -I %CYGWIN%\usr\local\include massflow.cpp cycle.cpp
> datapoint.cpp -L %CYGWIN%\usr\local\lib -ltclap
>
> I get the following errors:
> massflow.cpp:9:27: tclap/CmdLine.h: No such file or directory
> massflow.cpp:13: error: namespace `TCLAP' undeclared
>
> I've tried reversing the slashes, putting paths in quotes, etc. I would like
> to be able to use Xemacs to compile and use the -mno-cygwin flag so that I
> can distribute my software without the cygwin .dll. I'm guessing there might
> be something simple I'm not seeing. Thanks for your help.

You haven't told us anything about your system.  Please read the Cygwin
problem reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> to find
out what information needs to be provided.  However, I can probably make a
few recommendations with what little information you supplied.

I'll keep that in mind next time. Fortunately this time it wasn't neccessary.

It's preferable to use POSIX paths with Cygwin programs (including gcc),
so that the above line should really be something like

g++ -mno-cygwin -Wno-deprecated -o massflow.exe -I /usr/local/include massflow.cpp cycle.cpp datapoint.cpp -L /usr/local/lib -ltclap

You got it! That was it. Thanks for your help.