How to retrieve old messages, index, etc.

From the mail one gets when subscribing to this list:

To get messages 123 through 145 (a maximum of 100 per request), mail: <cygwin-get.123_145@cygwin.com>

   <cygwin-index.123_456@cygwin.com>

so you'll actually get 100-499.

send an empty message to:
   <cygwin-thread.12345@cygwin.com>

I am new to mail list stuff, so please forgive me if I am annoying. Does the above ever work for this list? If yes how?

Thanks,
Greg