Re: Any fix/work-around for post-install hang problem, yet?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 12:55 PM 3/3/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm suffering the same problem as in this thread:
> >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-12/msg00215.html
> >and as described in this thread, too:
> >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg00868.html
> >
> >This problem always occurs on my XP boxes.  Updating Cygwin,
> >reinstalling Cygwin, and rebooting do not help.  Recently I had a
> >working Cygwin on an XP box, installed MS's IE6 service/security
> >pack, bash started being flaky, and when I updated Cygwin,
> >post-install hung as described in the threads above and bash
> >continues its flakiness.
> >
> >I couldn't find anything in the archives recently.  Has anyone
> >found a work-around for this?
>

> There was lots of talk in the email archives about this issue and lots
> of work on it too.  Did you see:
>
>   <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html>
>
> ?
>
> If this isn't your solution, please provide some information on what's
> hanging and what you have installed, a la:
>

> >Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Igor and Larry,

Thanks for the responses.  I reproduce this problem by running
setup.exe and it hangs every time, like I said.  I am running the
most recent versions of everything, like I said (setup says
cygwin 1.5.7-1).  As I said, it happens on WinXP boxes;  I
haven't seen it on my Win2K boxes.  I've attached setup.log.

Yes, I saw http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html
when I was browsing the archives.

Michael Robbert (from my first referenced thread) has just told
me he might have the time to work on this;  I do not.  I was just
hoping to get lucky and find a quick fix.

Cheers,
Glenn

P.S. "Flaky" is a vague description, but accurate.  When running
cygwin.bat sometimes the bash prompt appears, sometimes not,
sometimes it opens in /usr/bin, sometimes in $HOME, sometimes ssh
works, sometimes it doesn't; etc.  Setup.exe has put the system
into an unstable (i.e., flaky) state.