Re: Snapshot 20040225: make hangs/errors out

Christopher Faylor wrote:

No, but I'll try to catch one. (I removed the strace from my script.)

Ok, caught two already. (Produced with attached script + Makefile)

Not much to there, unfortunately.

Out of curiousity, can you duplicate this problem with the snapshot?  I see
that this is your own build, probably built with --enable-debugging.

I've been diligently testing things with the snapshot rather than my own
build because I was trying to debug what was in the subject.  Snapshots
aren't built with --enable-debugging.  If this is just an artifact from
building with --enable-debugging, then I'm not too worried.
cgf

Ok, I've been running the script with the '25 snapshot all day, with 44 failures. All the same type of failures I was seeing with the cvs (with --enable-debugging). Unfortunitely, the ethernet card on my home machine broke so for now I'll upload one of the strace files to a geocites site. Nothing looks suspicious to me in the strace, maybe it's a bug in make?
http://www.geocities.com/endlisnis/Temp/freeze.zip

What I did notice is that I'm getting a tonne of failures "make: *** virtual memory exhausted. Stop." grep'ing through the make source (which I was unable to compile) I see that this can happen when malloc returns NULL (makes sense from the message), and I can say that my machine has plenty of memory left. 1Gig of ram, and my commit charge never exheaded 500Megs during the whole test. I have my 'heap_chunk_in_mb' set to 1024.

-Rolf