Re: Any fix/work-around for post-install hang problem, yet?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Glenn Murray wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Glenn Murray wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm suffering the same problem as in this thread:
> > > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-12/msg00215.html
> > > and as described in this thread, too:
> > > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg00868.html
> > >
> > > This problem always occurs on my XP boxes.  Updating Cygwin,
> > > reinstalling Cygwin, and rebooting do not help.  Recently I had a
> > > working Cygwin on an XP box, installed MS's IE6 service/security
> > > pack, bash started being flaky, and when I updated Cygwin,
> > > post-install hung as described in the threads above and bash
> > > continues its flakiness.
> > >
> > > I couldn't find anything in the archives recently.  Has anyone
> > > found a work-around for this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Glenn
> >
> > Glenn,
> >
> > Please review
> >
> > > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > and follow the directions there to tell us about your system.  Also,
> > please attach /var/log/setup.log.full from a setup session where
> > postinstall scripts hung (note: that file is overwritten every time you
> > run setup, and you may need to kill the hung bash/sh processes in the task
> > manager to allow setup to complete).
> >       Igor
> > P.S. "flaky" is a very vague description.  Concrete examples that would
> > allow others to reproduce the problem, along with the information from the
> > problem reporting guidelines above, would be much more helpful.
>
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Larry Hall wrote:
>
> > There was lots of talk in the email archives about this issue and lots
> > of work on it too.  Did you see:
> >
> >   <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html>
> >
> > ?
> >
> > If this isn't your solution, please provide some information on what's
> > hanging and what you have installed, a la:
> >
> > >Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> > --
>
> Igor and Larry,
>
> Thanks for the responses.  I reproduce this problem by running
> setup.exe and it hangs every time, like I said.  I am running the
> most recent versions of everything, like I said (setup says
> cygwin 1.5.7-1).  As I said, it happens on WinXP boxes;  I
> haven't seen it on my Win2K boxes.  I've attached setup.log.
>
> Yes, I saw http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html
> when I was browsing the archives.
>
> Michael Robbert (from my first referenced thread) has just told
> me he might have the time to work on this;  I do not.  I was just
> hoping to get lucky and find a quick fix.
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

Glenn,

You have not read either my message or the documentation that both Larry
and I pointed you at carefully enough.  In my message, I requested the
"/var/log/setup.log.full" (note the ".full") from a failed session.  You
have attached the /var/log/setup.log file.  The Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines request that you attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" to your
message, which you have not done.  Please take the time to read the
relevant instructions and supply enough information to help us track down
your problem.  Letting us know exactly which postinstall scripts hang
would also be helpful.

> P.S. "Flaky" is a vague description, but accurate.  When running
> cygwin.bat sometimes the bash prompt appears, sometimes not,
> sometimes it opens in /usr/bin, sometimes in $HOME, sometimes ssh
> works, sometimes it doesn't; etc.  Setup.exe has put the system
> into an unstable (i.e., flaky) state.

Well, I suspect most of the problems are due to the fact that postinstall
scripts didn't run on your system.  A package's installation is not valid
until its postinstall script has run, so the above is no surprise.  Once
we track down the postinstall problem, if your other symptoms persist, we
can revisit them.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/