Re: Following on old threads

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Gregory Borota wrote:

> A bit OT but I don't know where else to quickly go.
>
> How can one follow on an old thread which one doesn't have in his/her
> mailbox?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Hmm, didn't you just ask about that?  You locate the thread in the
archives, look at the "Raw text" of the message you'd like to reply to,
figure out its number (say, 89201), then send mail to <cygwin-get.89201 at
cygwin dot com>.  You should get a digest of one message (a message that
has another message as an attachment).  Most mail clients will then allow
you to reply to the attached message.  Or you can actually save the raw
text of the message (with some tweaking) and use any mbox-compliant mailer
to reply to it (see <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg01370.html>
for details).

Note that in lists archived on a monthly basis (such as this one), the
archives won't keep track of threads referencing messages from previous
months (e.g., if you replied now to some message from January, the list
archives won't show the "References" or "Follow-Ups" links for your
message).  However, it's still recommended to reply to older threads
rather than start the discussion anew, as other threaded mail or news
readers may not have the above limitation.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu