Re: problems with a new account, sshd, mkpasswd, and login

Dan,

On WinNT-based systems (NT/2k/XP), the normal Windows passwords are used
for authentication (i.e., Cygwin passes the userid and password to
Windows).  On Win9x/ME the password can actually be "crypt"ed into the
password field of the user in /etc/passwd.

Are you running the Windows version of ssh?  Try using the Windows user
manager to change the password and then log in via ssh.

As for the passwd question -- I don't know, it just says that.  Looking at
the sources, the whole string is hard-coded in there, so...  Maybe it's a
joke on Corinna's part to see if anybody noticed anything strange?.. ;-)
I don't think these limits are actually enforced.

HTH,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/