Re: fetchmail password from cygrunsrv [Attn: Corinna]

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Peter Wisnovsky wrote:

> > Look carefully at the cygrunsrv help output, in particular, the
> > --interactive and --type options.  I think the combination of those with
> > the --user option might get you what you want.  It might be harder to get
> > rid of the command window once fetchmail gets the password, though...
>
> Thanks, but I tried that and got an error setting up the service
>
> ~% cygrunsrv --install fetchmail --path /usr/bin/fetchmail --args "--daemon 300 --nodetach" --env HOME=/home/user--termsig TERM --user domain\user --shutdown --type manual --interactive
> Enter password of user `domain\user:
> Reenter, please:
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: CreateService:  Win32 error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
>
> I think this relates to the fact that only services logging in with the
> local system account can be configured to interact with the desktop...so it
> appears that the --user and --interactive flags are exclusive.
>
> Peter

Peter,

Whoops, you're quite right (confirmed on MSDN).  We should actually catch
that in cygrunsrv and print out an appropriate error message.  Corinna,
should I prepare a patch, or do I need a copyright assignment for
cygrunsrv?

Hmm, perhaps something along the following lines will work instead:

cygrunsrv --install fetchmail --path /usr/bin/su.exe --args "-p -c '/usr/bin/fetchmail --daemon 300 --nodetach </dev/conin 2>/dev/conout' domain\\user" --env HOME=/home/user --termsig TERM --shutdown --type manual --interactive

The above assumes that fetchmail prints the password prompt to stderr, and
the rest of the messages to stdout.  FWIW, I've tested this using a bash
script that used "read" to read a value...  And before people ask: yes,
you really *can* use "su" from a system-owned process.

Hope this helps,
	Igor
P.S. Corinna, there's a bunch of typos in the cygrunsrv messages as well
("neverexists" instead of "neverexits").
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu