Re: read(): varblk tape records...(& Fix for : read())

On Mar  5 05:14, Jason Winter wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> It turns out that your new fix (for read();) might (I'm not sure until the
> nightly builds are working again) prevent the bug from happening with
> var-blk records - but I think the 'bug' will still cause problems with
> fixed-block records and maybe other filetypes.  The issue I'm having is:
> raw_read() is setting devbufstart & devbufend, and raw_write() checks
> devbufend for buffering (which isn't required with var-block records or
> properly written fixed-block records in any case.)

What means "properly"?  It's not necessary with var-blocks, but it is
necessary with fixed blocks.  If somebody writes 1200 bytes to a tape
set to 512 byte blocksize, raw_write writes 2 blocks (1024 bytes) to
the tape and buffers the remaining 176 bytes for the next write.  How
should that work otherwise?

> My own feeling on this is, when reading tape-block data (fixed or variable
> blocks) and the blocks are not being buffered in calls (ie. my test-harness
> uses correctly sized buffers) then raw_read() shouldn't leave devbufstart
> or devbufend non-zero.

I don't quite understand what you mean.  The first thing in raw_read()
is to call writebuf() which checks if devbuf is used as a write buffer
and if so, tries to write the data in the buffer onto the medium.  This
also sets devbufstart and devbufend to zero.  Am I missing something?

Unfortunately I can't run your testcase.  My DDS tape drive seems to be
broken.  It can read, but it behaves weird when trying to write :-(((

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.