Re: A bit of history

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:11:04PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 01:38 PM 3/5/2004, you wrote:
> >When was the Cygwin project started?  I know that I started using
> >Cygwin somehwere around 1992.
> >
> >I thought it was good then, I think it is incredible now.
>
> If you were using it in 1992, then you probably know more history than
> most others on this list.  I've only been using it since 1995 with
> b12 and b13.  But I remember seeing a brief summary of the complete
> history at one time but what would seem to be the obvious pointer on
> the main page doesn't point to what I remember (points to the FAQ
> instead for some reason).  Anyway, as I recall, it went all the way back
> to b1, though I don't know when Cygnus started distributing it publicly
> (it was originally used internally to help with ports).

There's a little history section in the User's Guide:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/brief-history.html>

It also points to Geoffrey J. Noer's USENIX paper, which indicates 1995
was the start date (which makes sense from a Win32 perspective):

<http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt98/noer.html>