libdinput.a

What version of DirectX is supported ? Or more exactly what version of DirectInput?
I need DirectInput 8, but LPDIRECTINPUT8, DirectInput8Create() are not recognized by libdinput.a (it seems like libdinput.a goes for DirectX 7).
Is the answer in the FAQ:
Why isn't package XXXX available in Cygwin? (Or, why is your package so out of date?) <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html>
If so, can I link a gcc compiled program from cygwin against the static Win32 libs xxxx.lib ? (the -mno-cygwin flag is for dynamic linking).
Is there by any chance a libdinput8.a like in Dev-C++ ?
If nothing else works, can I link the MSVC libs as stated in the FAQ in:
How do I link against .lib files? <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html>
I'm sorry if this question was asked before, it was not in the FAQ.
	A. Sava