Re: zsh 4.1.1-3 on W2000 hangs with command not found

* Christopher Faylor (2004-03-08 15:05 +0100)
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:56:20PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>* Christopher Faylor (2004-03-08 14:43 +0100)

>>> Yes.  This problem was reported within 48 hours after 1.5.7 was released.
>>> It was reported as a problem which existed in 1.5.6, for which the reporter
>>> was waiting for a fix to appear even though the problem was not reported.
>>>
>>> The problem was fixed within a few hours after being reported and has been
>>> fixed in snapshots ever since.
>>>
>>> So, download a snapshot or wait for 1.5.8.  1.5.8 is due to be released in
>>> 2004.
>>
>>I'm already running the snapshot from "2004-Mar-05" (and now
>>downloading the one from "2004-Mar-06") all the 1.5.8 snapshots I
>>tried didn't fix that.
>
> Nope.  You are mistaken.  It works fine.  In fact, on checking the archives
> you even told someone to use the snapshot to fix this problem.

Yeah, that was to someone who had problems "1) sometimes when I start
zsh it hangs, sometimes it starts normally; (2) zsh command-line
editing generally badly messes up the display when long command lines
are being edited"

I never had these problems myself so I told him to upgrade instead of
downgrade (what the zsh maintainer advised).

> If you truly had a problem I am sure that you would have reported it
> prior to this point rather than implying that it worked.

This is just a tiny problems for me. There was a real problem with zsh
where *completion* took a long time (it tried to do DNS lookup -
according to my Personal Firewall - and timed out when I wasn't online
and no DNS was available). This is gone. The other "problem" is no
problem for me because I use the completion and therefor the "correct"
mechanism is /very rarely/ triggered. After that zsh caches the answer
and replies immdiately "zsh: no such file or directory". (If I'm so
dumb to try it again.)

But please be aware that there may be different problems. The one I
described is with the "correct function" of zsh (and I figured that
out just today). Davide Marchignoli's problem seems to be different:

% aoidfjkl        # immediately: "zsh: command not found: aoidfjklj"
% /bin/aoidfjklj  # hangs for about ten seconds until "zsh: no such file or directory: /bin/aoidfjklj"

Thorsten